Australian Curriculum Literature & Research units for the Foundation Year
Literature & Research units for the Primary Library
These resources are as they were when I developed them. Some are already out of date but can be modified to take account of new versions of the Australian Curriculum. In varying degrees they combine elements of the Australian English and History Curriculum (called AusVELS in Victoria) with the Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS) Thinking Processes, Personal Learning and Interpersonal Development Domains. They do not include AC Geography, though there are obvious possibilities to integrate it in some units.
Templates for planning with the Australian Curriculum during the Transition phase
This template combine elements of the Australian English Curriculum with the Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS) Thinking Processes, Personal Learning and Interpersonal Development Domains.
Australian Curriculum Units updated from existing VELS units (as of April 2012)
These units are in the order that I teach them in the Prep year so early units are simpler than later ones.
Fables (Term 1)
- FOUNDATION Fables
- Clean hands
- Goose that Laid the Golden Egg Yellow Hat
- Beginning, Middle, End Ducks and Tortoise
- Beginning, Middle, End Hare and Tortoise
- Town Mouse and Country Mouse Venn
- The Emu and the Wombat (Father Koala’s Fables)
Wild Animals (Term 2)
- FOUNDATION Wild Animals
- Baby Wild animals
- Venn diagram labels
- White Hat (wild animals)
- Zoo true book about animals
- Zoo video Baby Animals from the Wild
Beatrix Potter Author Study (Term 3)
- FOUNDATION Beatrix Potter Author Study
- Foundation Beatrix Potter author study rubric
- Samuel Whiskers T-chart
- Peter Rabbit spot the difference
- Peter Rabbit Venn Diagram (compare setting)
- Benjamin Bunny Venn Compare characters
In Term 3 after the Beatrix Potter Unit, I teach ‘one-off’ lessons using CBCA and YABBA shortlisted picture books. Any resources I make for those will be found via the CBCA Shortlisted Books Resources page.
Bruce Whatley Author Study (Term 4)
- Foundation Literature Bruce Whatley Author study V2
- Boing Boing Races Beg, Mid, End
- Boing Boing Races PMI
- Bruce Whatley title list
- Clinton Gregory’s Secrets T-chart
- Diary of a Wombat PMI
- Flying Emu Beg, Mid, End
- Flying Emu PMI
- Little White Dogs (design)
- Little White Dogs Beg, Mid, End
- Looking for Crabs (X-ray)PMI
- Magnetic Dog Beg, Mid, End Pete the Sheep Beg, Mid, End
- Pete the Sheep Thinkers Keys
- Whatley Beg, Mid, End Wombats (abc)
NB: When I made the Crabs, Sheepdogs and Wombats PPTs that I made to show ESL children these animals, I forgot to note the source of the images. So these PPTs are not available, you will need to make your own.
PS See also PoMo with the Preps.
Personal Learning Journals
At the end of every library lesson, my students self-assess their behaviour. The statements are based on VELS indicators or from the learning focus in Personal Learning and Interpersonal Development domains. It is a quick and easy way to support students to reflect on how their behaviour affects their learning.
BTW I don’t start using them with Preps until Semester 2.
PS If you find any of these resources interesting and decide to download them, could you please leave a brief comment? This page generates lots of traffic, but without any feedback, I don’t know who the visitors to the site are, so I don’t know whether to bother adding more resources to it.