Australian Curriculum Literature & Research units for Years 3 & 4
Literature & Research units for the Primary Library
These resources are as they were when I developed them. Some are already out of date but can be modified to take account of new versions of the Australian Curriculum. In varying degrees they combine elements of the Australian English and History Curriculum (called AusVELS in Victoria) with the Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS) Thinking Processes, Personal Learning and Interpersonal Development Domains. They do not include AC Geography, though there are obvious possibilities to integrate it in some units.
Templates for planning with the Australian Curriculum during the Transition phase.
Y3&4 Author study: Hans Christian Andersen
- Years 3 & 4 Hans Christian Andersen
- Draw the Tin Solder scene
- Princess and the pea
- Sale of the Century Quiz
- talesofhanschristianandersen (BBC)
- The Nightingale Storyboarding (4 thumbnails)
- the Princess and the PeaTin Soldier Venn diagram
(Not all of these activities are in the unit because I’ve modified the unit over the years, but I thought I’d share them anyway.)
Y3&4 Celebrations around the World
This was planned by our Y3 & 4 team as a class unit, but it could be taught in library too.
Y3 & 4 Aboriginal Myths and Legends
- Y3 Favourite legend worksheet
- Aboriginal Myths and Legends White Hat *
- Aboriginal Myths and Legends Yellow Hat *
- Stories from the Dreaming worksheet
*NB The clip art on these worksheets comes from RickRoser.com where there is free, downloaded Aboriginal clip art. This is acknowledged in the unit of work, but should be cited if this artwork is used anywhere else.
Y3&4 Animals at War (ANZAC unit)
You will need to download the resource M is for Mates from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs for this unit and also use the LisaHillSchoolStuff wiki Animals at War.
- Y3&4 Animals at War V2
- Animals at War Project Year 3
- Australians in War & Peacekeeping
- Sunshine Wheel – Animals at War
Y3&4 Age of Exploration (Maritime explorers in the Age of Discovery)
- Y3&4 Age of Exploration (maritime) V1
- Assessment task requirements poster
- DEEP THINKING choosing a useful book for research
- Exploration sites in Sydney (Botany Bay)
- Explorers Mini Project questions
- Explorers timeline
- Focus Qs (to enlarge for poster)
- HMS Roebuck 1690
- Mini project practice sheet (Explorers)
- Project answer summary sheet
- Research rules
- Who discovered Australia (timeline intro)
- World maps (set of 6)
Personal Learning Journals
At the end of every library lesson, my students self-assess their behaviour. The statements are based on VELS indicators or from the learning focus in Personal Learning and Interpersonal Development domains. It is a quick and easy way to support students to reflect on how their behaviour affects their learning.
PS If you find any of these resources interesting and decide to download them, could you please leave a brief comment? This page generates lots of traffic, but without any feedback, I don’t know who the visitors to the site are, so I don’t know whether to bother adding more resources to it.