Australian Curriculum Literature & Research units for Years 5 & 6
Literature & Research units for the Primary Library
Templates for planning with the Australian Curriculum during the Transition phase 2011-2012.
These templates combine elements of the Australian English Curriculum with the Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS) Thinking Processes, Personal Learning and Interpersonal Development Domains.
Australian Curriculum Units currently under construction (as of Jun 2011)
These units will be available for download late in Term 2 or during the Term 2 holidays after I have finished teaching them and (hopefully) ironed out the bugs.
Units being updated from existing VELS units (see below)
Indigenous War Service: this unit is (with permission) adapted from Indigenous Service, a resource for primary schools published by the Department of Veterans Affairs (2013).
I have changed some of the activities and worksheets to allow for more deep thinking and more use of thinking tools. I developed the resources for these as I needed them, sometimes because I felt the students didn’t understand the material. There is also an end-of-unit assessment activity based on the Australian Curriculum History content and skills. I used the Year 6 Student History Portfolio ‘Satisfactory’ work samples as a guide.
Please note also that the unit as planned by the original authors is very comprehensive and would take two terms to teach in a typical one-hour per/week library program. So I have split the unit in half, with the first three investigations being taught in even years and the other three in odd years. The downloads below are only for the first three investigations.
Finally, note that this unit is part of our whole school ANZAC scope and sequence plan which you can find here.
- Y5&6 Indigenous War Service Pt 1 (even years) V3 – (13/7/14) Please note this version replaces a previous Version 2: it took longer to do the activities than I had anticipated, and I was also able to borrow the AWM Memorial Box, Too Dark for the Light Horse, so I have added in two extra lessons using some of the resources in the box.
- Indigenous Service model letter
- Timeline template Indigenous Service
- Model Timeline (WJ Punch) Indigenous Service
- Indigenous Australians Glossary
- Indigenous Australians Glossary Activity 2
- Indigenous Australians in WW2 INFO
- Venn Diagram Indigenous Service (benefits)
- Supplementary army uniform match definitions
- Timeline Len Waters for At-risk students (This is for students who don’t do a satisfactory job of constructing a timeline to use for the final assessment task. It’s a simplified biography of his life.) You can see some of the best timelines at the Mossie Park LiBlog.
You will also need student access to the Indigenous Service page at the LisaHillSchoolStuff wiki.
This is the resource for primary teachers published by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) on which the adapted unit is based. (It’s free for teachers). You will need to download it for some of the worksheets, but more importantly there is background information that is essential reading for teachers before beginning the unit. Secondary teachers can also download a version of this resource, visit the DVA website.
My thanks go to Yvonne Perkins for her generosity in sharing ideas, resources and links for understanding the historical method on her blog Stumbling Through the Past. As a primary teacher with no background in teaching the historical method, I have learned a lot about interrogating historical sources and reading histories from following this blog!
Ulysses (a quest literature unit for Y5&6)
- Years 5 & 6 The Odyssey V3
- Odyssey CAT writing task
Odyssey ‘Duty’ Y chart
- Odyssey revenge v justice
- Odyssey Storyline development & setting
- Odyssey word-search
- The What If 12 Labours of Hercules
Extreme Holidays (Landscapes) – the kids really enjoyed this project!
- Y5&6 Landscapes (Aust Curriculum) Sem 1 Odd Years V1
- Assessment Rubric
- Landscapes (L4) research Qs
- research plan KWLH3
- Note taking sheet Master 2011
Biography (incorporating research into inland explorers, Aboriginal war service and migrants to Australia)
- Fame (Biography) V2
- Biography rubric
- Celebrity Quiz
- Fame (biography) research Qs
- Subjects for Biography unit
VELS Units (pre 2010)
NB These units are in various stages of development. I am not very interested in tidying things up for publication, so they are not exemplary units, but just the way they were when I last designed or edited them. (Every time I teach a unit, I change something.) Feel free to use them, but please acknowledge their authorship, and email me via the comments box below if you would like to share some of your resources in return.
BTW Many of these units have hyperlinks to my work program or worksheets I have made. I can’t be bothered uploading all of these…send me a comment with your request, and I’ll send it to you.
Personal Learning Journals
At the end of every library lesson, my students self-assess their behaviour. The statements are based on VELS indicators or from the learning focus in Personal Learning and Interpersonal Development domains. It is a quick and easy way to support students to reflect on how their behaviour affects their learning.
PS If you find any of these resources interesting and decide to download them, could you please leave a brief comment? This page generates lots of traffic, but without any feedback, I don’t know who the visitors to the site are, so I don’t know whether to bother adding more resources to it.
Years 5 & 6